Sunday, September 26, 2010

Run Like a Girl!



You know that feeling you get when you achieve a BIG goal? Part disbelief, part celebration, part panic because now you need a new goal? Well, I'm still riding high on that feeling after completing my first marathon in Akron, Ohio in 5:21.

I ran in memory of my father, who died on April 18th. The last time I spoke with him was by phone three days earlier, on my 46th birthday. He called to wish me a good day, but in retrospect, I understand he was calling to say, goodbye. At the moment he called, I was standing in the bookstore with a marathon training guide in my hand. We discussed my goal and he offered his enthusiastic support, as always. I couldn't think of a better way to honor his life than to dedicate this moment to him. I ran it just the way he'd want me to: smiled the entire time, greeted and thanked all the supporters along the way, and appreciated my finish no matter how long it took me.

So this one's for you, Dad! Thanks for encouraging me to live life to the fullest, and may this serve as inspiration to others to do the same.


Standing with my 11-year old daughter at the start. After telling her that it would take me at least five hours to finish, she asked, "What are you going to do for five hours?" Ha! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other...

20 miles in. Hurting, but still smiling!



No comments: