Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Pitch

My book club meets tomorrow night to discuss our latest read, eat great food, socialize, and pitch ideas for our next book choice. Most of you know, I speak professionally for a living. I've been in front of some tough crowds and survived just about every speaking mishap possible. There isn't much that can throw me anymore. Still, pitching to this group of smart, opinionated, well-read women makes me nervous. It has to be spot-on or it's over with a resounding, "No..doesn't sound interesting." Decision time: about 30 seconds.

Unlike most of my book club friends, I favor non-fiction. I can't tell you the thrill I get when they choose one of my book ideas. It means that I successfully "read the room" and "sold" my idea. Often that means skipping the description on Amazon.com and designing my own. It's all about matching the message to the audience.

My book club may not sound like your idea of fun (my husband would agree with you), but we're all pitching our ideas to someone. Who's your audience? Children, bankers, sales clerk, spouse? How successful are your pitches?

No comments: